Unaverage Musings

Comments on life and ideas, personal anecdotes, books read, television shows watched and perhaps the occasional political or social issue rant.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Baby's mood swings

Something wierd happened today, or at least it struck me that way. My 5-month-old daughter Millie did something I didn't expect from someone her age. It happened when I fed her her lunch today. She eagerly took the portion of the bottle I gave her before I fed her cereal. But, when it came to taking the cereal she began to squirm, scream and cry inconsolably. I knew she would have a little bit of difficulty with this feeding since I was feeding her thicker cereal than she had had before, but still, I did not expect an all out temper tantrum. She would calm for a little while and then start up again when I put food in her mouth or trying to clean her face. She grabbed the bowl and got cereal all over her hand and was constantly sliding down in the highchair. I was beside myself to keep my temper in check. She also kept putting her hands to her face, as if it itched or perhaps to cover her mouth when she sneezed (which she had been doing). She eventually burped, which seemed to calm her some. After an hour and half she had her cereal finished (requiring the help of my sleepy husband to keep her calm) and we moved to the sofa for the rest of her bottle. She fussed a little but then took the bottle quite well and burped easily. She filled her diaper while drinking, which is typical of her, and then at the end of her bottle she began to giggle while she brought the bottle to her mouth and then pulled it out again. She was delighted to be able to do it for herself and seemed in a very jovial mood. Wierd!! Just a few minutes before she had been seemingly angry or upset, and now she was laughing!? So strange to see such a rapid mood change in someone so young. I guess that goes to show that rapid mood swings don't just happen with pregnant women, menstruating women or adults in general. I find myself exhausted and yet happy about her progress in holding her bottle too... Motherhood sure has it's unusual moments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home