Unaverage Musings

Comments on life and ideas, personal anecdotes, books read, television shows watched and perhaps the occasional political or social issue rant.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rainy Days

What do you do with a rainy day? Where I live, we are expecting to have more than a week's worth of rainy days in a row. So, rather than be miserable about the lack of sunshine, I want to find ways to rejoice in the raindrops. This morning I read my Bible on my front porch and marveled at the way the clouds rolled across the sky. It is amazing the variety of shapes and shades of grey one can find in the clouds. After breakfast and watching the morning news, I took my daughter outside and showed her the rain. I explained that the rain is helping things to grow, like trees, flowers, vines, bushes and other things. She was delighted to watch the wind moving the trees and to play in my arms. We danced in the rain and played her current favorite game (upside down baby) on the porch.
Rainy days are good for many things, my favorite being reading a good book curled up with a cup of hot tea, coffee or cocoa. Next best thing is to go puddle jumping, something else I told my little girl about. She loves to splash away in her bath, so I'm sure she would enjoy splashing in the puddles. Since she'd just had a bath, I decided to wait for another rainy day to go puddle jumping. Rainy days are great days to be productive indoors as well. I love to bake on rainy days, and I may very well bake some cookies, bread or cake today. Cleaning out closets and decluttering hotspots (see Flylady link for the definition of a hotspot) is another great use of a rainy day. Rainy days are great days for dreaming, writing poetry or sharing laughter with friends.
God has given us both the rainy days and the sunny days for our enjoyment and for glorifying Him. What else can I do with a rainy day?? I can praise God for His creation, share my love for Him with others, go out and plant or tend to a garden, and many other things that reflect the glory of God. Sure, rainy days can be days where you feel blue and cry. But there are many positive and uplifting things that can be done with a rainy day. Many indoor activities are amplified by rain outside. Take visiting a museum for example. I find an art or history museum particularly satisfying on a rainy day...I'm not sure why, but it works. It seems as though it is easier to concentrate on the displays and they are more fascinating when I can hear rain outside and I know that the sun is not out. When the sun comes out, I find myself thinking of spending time in it rather than enjoying what is inside (no matter how nice the inside thing might be).
So what do you do with a rainy day?

1 Comments:

  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    awww, I just got the cutest picture in my head of you and that sweet babooo dancing! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home