Unaverage Musings

Comments on life and ideas, personal anecdotes, books read, television shows watched and perhaps the occasional political or social issue rant.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Chicken about using chicken broth?

For at least as long as my daughter Millie has been around, I have used chicken bouillion cubes in place of canned or boxed chicken broth. This has been primarily to save money and secondarily to save space. It was fine for quite a while, it was cheap and relatively easy to use. I even split apart the cubes into fourths to make the fourth of a cup of broth that I needed for a recipe. I hadn't actually compared the sodium content, but I figured it couldn't be too different from the ready to use broth that comes in cans or boxes. I just checked, and the difference is 60 mg per cup (the prepared stuff is higher). Shocking! I always thought that those little cubes were mostly salt. Over the last six months to a year I have grown increasingly annoyed with the time it takes to prepare broth with the cubes. Not to mention the annoyance I have with getting those suckers to completely dissolve in boiling water! To buy the cheapest container of prepared chicken broth at Meijer means paying 37 cents per cup of broth. Bouillion costs around 15 cents per cup of broth, but requires thinking ahead in preparing a recipe and the effort of getting those pesky little cubes to dissolve. Six and a half months ago my daughter Millie Anne began to walk independently, with that came a lot more time on my part making sure she stayed out of trouble. I'd love to say that I don't have time to use bouillion cubes and toddlers require my use of prepared chicken (or beef for that matter) broth. Is my convenience worth 22 cents more per cup? I've tried using the prepared broth for the last two weeks, and I really like it! But a little thought is popping about in the back of my head that I should use the cheaper cubes in order to be a responsible home manager. It costs less and the sodium is a little bit lower, both good for my family. But the prepared stuff saves me time and aggravation, which helps food get on the table just a little faster and gives me time to check on what Millie is up to while I'm making dinner. Another little voice says, "Buck, buck buckaaah..buck, buck, buckaah...you're afraid to use prepared chicken broth...buck, buck, buckaahhh!"
Now what would YOU do?

3 Comments:

  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You crack me up. I have had the same thought actually and here's my idea. What if you took a jar (has to have a good seal on it) and pre-prepared 2-3 cups of broth? You'd have to have room in your fridge obviously, but if you have room for the store bought stuff, maybe this would work!

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Joy said…

    Space is my biggest issue. It's much easier to store a container of cubes than a pile of cans. If the broth is on sale and it's winter (aka soup season), sometimes I splurge and buy the cans. I also make my own sometimes when I cook up chicken for casseroles. I freeze it in freezer bags. But thawing takes as much time as preparing a boullion cube... So I just smoosh the cubes up with a spatula, dump the stuff in, and go.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Sharon,
    I have found granular forms of chicken and beef boullion however, I do not know its cost effectiveness. Something tells me that you probably do. I have been admiring your careful shopping habits for months now. Lately, I have been on a canned broth kick. When I don't need a whole cans worth of broth (can happen when making something for just two and the recipe doesn't freeze well), I use what I need and then freeze the rest in a gladware container. Again, I am not sure of the cost effectiveness; perhaps you can fill me in on this. I imagine you have looked at this from all angles already. I thought I'd share what I am currently doing, just in case something proves helpful.
    Love,
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home